Monday, March 17, 2008

Down South Trip Report, Part II

A few miles from South of the Border, we passed a sign that I quickly dismissed - "Accident Ahead - Be Prepared to Stop". If I knew then what I know now, the gang and I may have tried on a few more "Hats of the World" cheeseburger chapeaus.

I-95 quickly ground to a halt. Not one of those packs where you inch along slowly, but a full-blown turn-off-your-car stop. For an hour and a half. On a strip of highway sandwiched between 2 swampy areas with no pee coverage. Here's the view to the front and to the back - it was as boring as it looks:





Poor silly BoyChild and GirlChild raced between the rumblestrips during the wait, but since I watch Survivor and have picked up a few pointers, I quickly drank the remaining water in the car.

When traffic started up again, GirlChild announced that she had to pee. What? We pulled over to a rest stop two miles up the road, as did every other woman and hunkered down in line.

Now use your wildest imagination to guess what could make this scenario even more haha funny. Ha ha... I'm still laughing about no running water or flushing toilets for miles worth of bladders. OK, bladders if you're lucky and other things if you're not. I perched GirlChild over what I considered a "lucky" toilet in that it was only yellow and pulled a Silkwood back in the car.

And so we made it to Savannah in 12 hours and what I felt like doing upon our arrival involved multiple cold beverages. My reality involved one cold beverage, three cups of coffee and icing a SpongeBob cake until midnight for my nephew's birthday party the next morning. Not too shabby for sheer exhaustion...


4 Comments :

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it. I will giggle all night about you drinking the last of the water. Good stuff.

Alice said...

Thanks! We're just happy to be here. It's amazing how suddenly thirsty you get at the merest thought that you could be sitting there for an unknown number of hours. ; )

Anonymous said...

They keep wanting to lower the taxes in my state. I keep telling 'em to visit a low tax state. "Look in the toilets," I scream. But they just don't listen...

Alice said...

Hah! - unfortunately I think I need to throw blame on all the storms in the southeast - lots of water and electricity issues...

Post a Comment