Thursday, February 28, 2008

Music Tech

I was hip and cool for all of about one day. I downloaded "SexyBack" by Justin Timberlake from iTunes. I played it loudly in my car. I consulted the internet and found out I'm a year and a half too late.

But them's the breaks when the antenna to your car is laying in a Panera's parking lot somewhere in Southern Maryland. If I were to rely solely on what the metal in my car is now able to pick up on the radio, I'd be limited to a Christian rock station. If I depended on my kids, I'd be singing "Who lives in a pineapple under the sea...." Babycakes does books-on-tape these days so I'd venture to guess that his knowledge of current pop music is worse than mine.


*sigh*

And so I bombard the fam with what I've accumulated on my most beloved item - my iPod. It really runs the gamut from truly embarrassing (Who Let The Dogs Out, Rocky Mountain High and Wannabe) to the gorgeous voices of Michael Buble, June Tabor and Jack Johnson. And can you say you know anyone else with Mediaeval Baebes on their iPod? I've got movie music, TV music and soundbites. Shouldn't all kids learn to comment "Mmmmm....forbidden doughnut...." as they bite into that Krispy Kreme?

Peace Corps would've been bliss with an iPod. I somehow existed two years with:

1) A walkman that only made it one year - until I had to pay off a teacher with it to take my week of MOD (Master on Duty) at school. I wasn't cut out for Kenyan discipline.

2) A tape player that made it almost a year and a half with the help of a screwdriver permanently jammed into the tape-lifting mechanism. It had a final date with my pit latrine.

3) A shortwave radio that picked up Voice of America, BBC and Deutsche Welle on the good days and Kenyan Sundowner on the bad. Sundowner was overly fond of Kenny Rogers and a song called "Roses for Mama."

Ahhhh..memory lane...I'll leave you with possibly the best line of lyrics EVER:

Absorbent and yellow and porous is he SPONGE BOB SQUARE PANTS!

0 Comments :

Post a Comment